Welcome to the Universitat de Girona, a public institution devoted to excellence in teaching and research and to participating in the progress and development of society through the creation, transmission, diffusion and criticism of knowledge related to the sciences, technology, the humanities, the social sciences and the arts. It is deeply rooted in Catalonia and Catalan culture and is one of the primary motors economic and cultural motors of the region. At the same time, it pursues a vocation of universality and openness to all traditions, and cultures. The University, located in the city of Girona, is a part of the Catalan public university system.
Historically, the Universitat de Girona is heir to the so-called Estudi General which was created in 1446 by Alphonse the Magnanimous, who granted Girona the privilege of awarding degrees in grammar, rhetoric, philosophy and theology, law and medicine. Recently, in 1991, a decree of the Catalan Government created the new Universitat de Girona, a multidisciplinary reference point thanks to contributions from a rich variety of university cultures.
The Universitat de Girona has three separate campuses (Montilivi, Barri Vell and City Centre). The Montilivi campus is the newest, with emblematic buildings spread out over an open space; the Barri Vell campus, created through the restoration of historical buildings, is part of the historic heritage of the city; the City Centre campus is clustered around the former Normal School, restored and converted into a faculty and a school. At the very centre of Girona’s shopping district we find the building known as the Mercadal, seat of the UdG Foundation for Innovation and Training. A newly developed area at the University is occupied by the Science and Technology Park in the neighbourhood of la Creueta.