King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) was officially established by royal decree on 5 Jumada 1, 1383 (23 September, 1963). The first students were admitted a year later, on 23 September, 1964, a total of 67 young men enrolled when it was called the College of Petroleum and Minerals (CPM). Since that time, the number of the university students increased to more than 8,000 students in the meantime.
Several significant events have marked the University’s growth. In 1971, at the first graduation ceremony, four men received their baccalaureate degrees in engineering. In 1975, the College of Petroleum and Minerals became the University of Petroleum and Minerals. In 1986, the University was renamed The King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM). As a result of this vast growth, 29,015 bachelor's degrees 3,821 Master’s and 257 Ph.D.'s were awarded by the end of the first semester 2015-2016. Today, KFUPM is one of the leading educational organizations. It aims at being a preeminent institution known for its globally competitive graduates, cutting edge research, and leadership in energy discoveries. The rapid growth of KFUPM is related to the rapid economic and technical development of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It also reflects the rising expectations of the people of Saudi Arabia, the expanding opportunities for the country’s young population, and the increasing importance of the Kingdom as a major source of the world’s energy.
To meet these expectations, KFUPM is committed to make a difference in all what it does. This includes developing the main characteristics of its graduates making them ahead of their peers, focusing on research that addresses global trends with high scholarly impact, and engaging stakeholders across the society in endeavors aimed at contributing to the prosperity and intellectuality of the community at large.